Sunday 2 March 2014

25 Years of Saath, the weekend, and my research

Sunday 2nd March 2014

On Friday (28th February), I attended the event celebrating 25 years of Saath. It was a truly delightful evening of speeches, stories, and the launch of a book about the organisation, followed by a delicious dinner. I had the chance to meet many great people involved with Saath, including staff, community members, and other acquaintances from the city and beyond. Being there made me realise just how honoured I am to be part of such a wonderful organisation. It also gave me the opportunity to meet all of the other lovely people from the FedEx team and learn about the work of the other groups with SEWA and the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation.

Over the weekend I got through another couple of books (have a look at the Reading page if you're interest in which ones) and roamed around my suburb a little more. I found a supermarket with an ‘international food’ section, which turned out to be a collection of rather randomly assorted Waitrose products. I have also reached the decision to no longer use pavements along main roads unless strictly necessary, as they seem to frequently serve as public urinals. This evening I went for a stroll around Vastrapur Lake and the surrounding park, which are nice enough, despite the dust and endless couples trying to hide their (quite obvious) displays of affection – this is apparently problem enough to warrant ‘No Romance’ signs in the area. Apart from that, the weekend was relatively uneventful. I am very relaxed.
Vastrapur Lake and park. 

This evening's sunset at Vastrapur Lake.

Tomorrow, interviews resume! I’m aiming to do around thirty in total, and have these finished by early April, so that I can get my interim report in on time (due in mid-April). My research is about the experiences of male youth in Ahmedabad. Why youth? As Chetan Bhagat (2012) writes in What Young India Wants, “India is the youth. This is something you will hear often, mainly because India’s median age is twenty-five, and 70% of the population is below thirty-five…the youth have little say in mainstream political or national issues. The youth are under-represented.” Youth are such a vital demographic in contemporary India, in many ways, and understanding their experiences may be key to development now and in the future. My focus on male youth comes from both my interest in gender relations, and the various (mis)perceptions of male youth in the Global South. It’s important to remember that gender is not just about women, that every binary of course has two sides, both of which it is important to understand in order to improve the lives of all concerned. Issues regarding women in India are of vital importance, and with this research I hope to increase knowledge and understanding of the under-studied male youth and their experiences and perceptions of life (including gender relations), to allow for better policy in the future.


If anyone would like to read my research proposal in full, please don’t hesitate to ask!

1 comment:

  1. Any chance you could get a copy of the No Romance sign? That would be fun to see. --Robert

    ReplyDelete